Job Title: Triangle Youth Philharmonic Conductor
Reports to: Philharmonic Association Artistic Director
Job Type: Part-time, 10 months August – May, $1,000 per month
Submit application materials to Hugh Partridge, Artistic@philharmonic-association.org
Reporting to the Artistic Director, the Triangle Youth Philharmonic Conductor will have responsibility for the flagship and most advanced full orchestra of our multi-level youth orchestra program. The Triangle Youth Philharmonic presents full-length concerts of professional level repertoire. The individual selected must be highly motivated to work with, and inspire, young musicians of a high caliber and have the knowledge to maintain the professional culture of the Philharmonic Association, a highly regarded musical arts organization since 1988. The winning candidate would be a strong contender for the position of Artistic Director, to be appointed by the Board of Directors at a later date, a position with added duties and compensation.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Weekly evening two-hour rehearsals, beginning after Labor Day, and culminating in a full-length concert in Meymandi Concert Hall before Thanksgiving. A Holiday Concert in December with three preparatory rehearsals. Weekly rehearsals beginning in January and culminating in a full-length concert in Meymandi Concert Hall in late April or early May.
- Selection of repertoire and audition excerpts, with consultation and approval by the Artistic Director. Repertoire should include some pieces with low brass and harp.
- Preparation of music and folders prior to first rehearsals each semester. Break down and return in good order to the library after concerts. Professional string bowings should be provided to each string player. Wind musicians should receive part assignments, with each player given an opportunity to experience different parts. Philharmonic Association Musician Interns can be called upon to assist with library work.
- Work closely with Triangle Youth Philharmonic parent volunteers, the Philharmonic Association Operations Manager, and Executive Director to assure smooth operations of the orchestra.
- Provide weekly rehearsal schedules that prevent players from wasting time.
- Support the artistic vision and direction of the PA as defined by the Artistic Director, Artistic Staff, and/or the Board of Directors.
- Be responsive to musician and parent concerns, as needed.
Please provide the following:
- Letter of intent including detailed availability for rehearsals and concerts in 2018-19. (9/11/18 – 11/13/18; 11/18/18; 1/8/19 – 4/23/19; 4/29/19; 5/5/19)
- A paragraph stating why you want to become the Triangle Youth Philharmonic Conductor and your vision for the future of the ensemble.
On the basis of application materials, semi-finalists will be invited to conduct a rehearsal during the fall semester between September 11 and November 6 on a Tuesday night, from 6:30 – 8:30 pm in the Athens Drive High School band room. Some applicants may be invited to conduct on the fall concert on November 18th, 3:00 pm. Finalists will be invited the conduct one of the spring concert pieces for all the rehearsals it is scheduled and on the concert, May 5, 2019 at 7:00 pm.